Sunday, February 27, 2005

Full Disclosure

This past week I woke up to find a very soggy downstairs. It seems that a fitting on the discharge hose of the water softner had cracked. The result was a couple of inches of water in the laundry room, powder room, hall, and extending part way to the family room and dining room. Since this had never happened to me, I was a bit lost in figuring out what to do. However, a couple of things came to mind. First was the thought of selling my home someday and filling out that 3 page form called a Transfer Disclosure Statement. The other thing that came to mind was that thing that we've all heard so much about. Mold.

I found out that there are companies that specialize in the proper clean up of water and moisture. They came in and pulled back carpet, removed padding, and cut out dry wall. Then they put about 6 fans and a de-humidifier in the rooms affected. A few days later they were back to check to make sure all the moisture had dried.

Since I can see the studs in the walls and the concrete on the floor, I feel confident that the moisture in my home is gone. I've got alot of work to do like replacing drywall, putting in new baseboards, painting, and haveing the carpet reinstalled. However, I'm feeling very confident about filling out that Transfer Disclosure Statement someday. And most of all, I'm feeling confident that my home is a healthy place for my family.

www.HopeGoss.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home