Friday, February 10, 2006

Zillow?

I was watching the news last night and they had a story on the new website Zillow. I don't know about you, but the hype, "Jack Wright says world ends tomorrow. Tune in at 11pm!" is getting a bit old. Anyway, the hype last night was that Zillow was going to change the way we buy and sell real estate. Well, I fell for it, again. I watched, and I'm pretty sure they admitted at the end of the story that it probably won't change the way we buy and sell. I was too tired last night to sign on and check it out, but I did this morning. I provided my address and it provided me with an instant estimate of value. Woooohoooo! My house is worth quite a bit more than I thought. Then, I was able to add in upgrades, choose the specific comparatives I wanted to use, and even add in a value for whatever I wanted. Then I really got excited. According to Zillow, my house has increased by $350,000 in the last 6 months. Cool!

I don't want to make it sound like this is a terrible site. I like some of the features, and I think the more information that's available to buyers and sellers, the better informed they are. Just keep in mind that specific knowlege about an area, such as schools and views, is not part of the computers knowledge and can make a huge difference in the actual price you can buy or sell for. Real knowledge of a specific market can only be found in an experienced agent.

www.HopeGoss.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home